Sunday 10 February 2013

My Heroes #1 Braveheart

Edward Colin James Hendry, was born in Keith, Scotland, 7th December 1965.



Hendry appearing on a 1996-97 Merlin Premier Gold card, I bough this card on ebay.co.uk pre-signed for pittance.

After 4 years with Dundee he moved to Blackburn Rovers in 1987, I was 2.
Winning the FA Full Members Cup in 1987.

He then spent 2 years with Manchester City before returning to my hometown team.
He was a rock solid defender, he then moved to Glasgow Rangers before playing for Coventry, Bolton, Preston & Blackpool.

He also made 51 appearances for Scotland.



Blackburn Stat's: 

Appearances: 357
Goals: 34
FA Full Members Cup Winner (1987)
FA Premier League Winner (1994-95)

I've met Colin once, a very nice down to earth man.
Sadly in recent years he lost his wife and has had financial troubles, he was the last of the old guard of players who didn't earn a fortune.

-
Martyn


No comments:

Post a Comment